Connecting our Christian families at Playgroup
At Honeybears Playgroup in Kilsyth South, Victoria, key areas of our ministry with families are summed up by 4 words – Bless, Belong, Believe and Become.
We strive for everything we do as a playgroup to be adding value in one of these areas.
At our recent team meeting we identified that we could do the ‘Become’ aspect a bit better …
Read more: Coffee and dessert afternoon
PlayMap is an user-friendly online tool from Playgroup Victoria for planning playgroup sessions that reflect the five learning outcomes of the National Early Years Learning Framework to promote children’s learning and development at playgroup. Choose from a range of activities to suit the ages and interest of the children in your playgroup, create and save session plans, and print off a list of activities.
Easter at Little Lambs Playgroup
We had a fun week for Easter… in our regular playgroup sessions we included Easter egg hunts, party food, Easter story with Jesus the focus and learnt two new Easter songs. Parents and kids listened well to the story and we feel they showed a lot of respect and took it in well as we shared the gospel.
Read more: Celebrating Easter
VCCE playgroup resource library
The VCCE playgroup resource library is available to any church, to borrow 10 resources per year for one term’s loan duration. The resource library will equip playgroups with resources inexpensively to run sessions for playgroup teams, family affirming groups for families attending playgroups as well as resources to help with program ideas for playgroups.
The cost to churches is $35 per year or a discount price of $25 for Christian Playgroup Network members.
Please contact email@example.com or 0413 180 991 for a full list of titles available from the VCCE playgroup resource library and how to join the library.
Resources available to borrow include
- 5 Love Languages – DVD & resource kit
- Ask Anything – DVD
- Christianity Explored – leaders kit
- The Parenting Children – Book, DVD and Resource kit
- Activating God Space – Book and Resource Kit
- Just Walk Across The Room – Book, DVD and Resource kit
- The Beginners Bible Felt Board Series, includes Baby Jesus or Easter
- Christmas for Kids (Christian Education Publications)
- Various Colin Buchanan CD’s
Applications still open for Playgroup Start-up Grant
The VCCE in partnership with Gospel Resources is offering a number of grants to help plant new Christian playgroups in areas with significant social need. The grant supports the establishment of general play-‐based inclusive playgroups, which supports families through nurturing community among parents, grandparents, carers and the children they accompany in the group. The grant is not to assist in running program-based groups (e.g. mini maestros, music together, mainly music). The grant is open to churches of all denominations.
The grant provides
- $500 to spend on equipment
- 1 year free membership of the Christian Playgroup Network (including access to startup resources, coaching and advice)
- 1 year free leadership development and training though participation in a ‘Join the Dots’ peer mentoring group connecting your leaders with others exercising a similar ministry for networking, training and resourcing
- Partnership with an established playgroup ministry in another church in your denomination for encouragement, resource sharing, wisdom and prayer
Full details and application form here: VCCE Gospel Resource Playgroup Planting Grant
Tips when preparing playgroup activities – coming up with ideas for your playgroup session that are both fun and stimulating for the children can be a challenge. Here are some tips to consider to make it fun for the children and create space for parents to connect with each other. Busy children make for relaxed parents!
Welcoming families Making your families feel welcome at playgroup is an important part of them feeling like they belong . Here are some ideas to help make that happen not just at the start of the year but all the year through.
For more resources and support for your playgroup ministry become a member today to access the many helpful resources (including newsletters) in the members only section. Apply to become a member through our online membership application.